Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Two champs on the train


Today I was on the train coming back from Lingampali to Secunderabad and on hopped two young gentlemen who immediately caught my attention. They wore matching, purple and white seersucker shirts. They also matched each other’s height, build, and demeanor. Both looked remarkably happy and at one with the world around them. It’s not so much that “I own the planet” like some young men radiate. Instead, it was more of a “no matter who owns the planet, I am perfectly comfortable getting along.”


The rest of the train ride I watched these two young men. They sat for some time with their legs dangling off the side of the train, watching the city go by. Other times they half-wrestled each other, having probably too much fun right by the open train door. In fact, at one point I was standing just by them and stuck out my leg across the doorway to make sure they didn’t fall out the side.

I eventually worked my way over to them on the train. They were conversing and laughing in Telugu. I gestured between the two and asked, “Brothers?” They smiled and bobbled their heads in unison. We had a short, broken conversation. Both their names started with an “S,” but I can’t honestly remember them now. Vaguely, I recollect that one sounded like “smiley” but of course was probably way off from that. I feel like it suited anyways.

They didn’t stay still for long enough to have a thorough “get-to-know” you. Soon they were on the other side of the boxcar, enjoying themselves again. I just kept watching.

Just before my stop came, they somehow ended up back on my side of the train. One was teasing the other as he showed his gym membership card, as if it was the silliest thing in the world. I chimed in, “You like to work out?” He smiled. One thing led to another, and we found ourselves having a pull-up competition on the hand-bars attached to the ceiling. He was pretty good, but I had him…

Soon the train screetched to a halt, and we three disembarked. It took less than three seconds to lose sight of them in the crowd. But they’re out there in the city somewhere, living it up to the fullest.
I don’t know what about them stood out to me so much. They were just alive and happy about the simple fact of life, all in the midst of a relatively filthy city that is characterized only by the struggle for survival. At one point I thought of Slum Dog Millionaire and the story of those brothers. I was tempted to sensationalize the background and the future of this pair. Would one go on to be a leading gangster in a city slum? Would another work day-in and day-out on the phones in a cubicle next to hundreds of other customer services technicians? Would they both go on to earn PhDs and work with the poor, like the wonderful people we are surrounded by each day?

Thankfully, I didn’t really have to sensationalize their stories. I’ll leave that up to them. The experience was just wonderful for me to think about the future, and that even here in India, the next generation has potential. There’s a lot that needs to be done, but for today, these boys’ sense of freedom, fun, and fulfillment on one simple train ride are all that matters.

Kyle

3 comments:

  1. Your experiences in India are so inspiring. One thing I noticed about your blogs and emails back home is that you don't talk about how incredible it is for YOU so much as you talk about the people you are serving. I love that you show how much you truly care about those around you and I hope I can have more of that characteristic in my life.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete